Thursday, August 12, 2010

one day, 14 bookstores...

...and that's not counting the quick visit to the launch venue and sundry other tasks...what a day! I started in Camberwell with Borders, Angus and Robertson and Dymocks; checked out a store that turned out to be secondhand only....moved on to Books In Print, Jeffrey's and Readings Malvern. Went around the corner to Berkelouw Books. On to Albert Park and The Avenue Bookstore. South Melbourne: Coventry Street bookstore and Melbourne Style (full of cute little Melbourne-ey things). Readings Port Melbourne. Borders Carlton. and finally, possibly my favourite store of all, Readings Carlton, for the launch of Leanne Hall's young adult masterpiece, set in a re-imagined Melbourne-like city, This is Shyness. . at which store I was so pleased to see When We Think About Melbourne in the window that I took a photo of it with my phone.

all beautiful stores, full of stuff I really wanted to buy (and sometimes did; door prizes for the launch!) All staffed by amazing, interesting people who had the Melbourne-book scene practically memorized; lots of chats about Arcade Books' great little series, Kristin Otto's Yarra (turns out she works at one of those stores; I love the way Melbourne bookshops employ writers as well as selling their work. I thought the spruiking might be a bit of a chore, but with the exception of one place that responded to my pleasure at seeing it on their shelf with a general air of being bothered by me, it was great fun and so encouraging to see it out there...at least two stores said "there aren't enough books about Melbourne"...so true. the more the better.

and the only reason I haven't hyperlinked them all is, well, I'm about to drop with exhaustion - available, as they say, at all good bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment